By Chris Richards, AJGA Communications
After 48 matches and 794 holes, the two 32-player brackets have been whittled down to eight players each as Thanksgiving begins at the Polo Golf Junior Classic. A few notes about each of the quarterfinal fields:
- In all, there are five matches that feature a pair of Rolex Junior All-Americans:
- Scott Scheffler (2nd Team) vs. Rigel Fernandes (Honorable Mention)
- Brad Dalke (1st) vs. Matt Gilchrest (HM)
- Angel Yin (HM) vs. Casey Danielson (1st)
- Ariya Jutanugarn (1st) vs. Simin Feng (2nd)
- Alexandra Kaui (HM) vs. Nicole Morales (1st)
- Three of the quarterfinalists in the girls’ bracket have never trailed through the first two rounds of match play: Bethany Wu, Alexandra Kaui and Nicole Morales. Wu has led 28 of the 30 holes she’s played, while Morales has led 30 of the 33 holes she’s played. Kaui posted 1-up victories over two Rolex Junior All-Americans, Annie Park and Alison Lee, and her match has been all square after 14 of the 36 holes she’s played.
- By contrast, all eight quarterfinalists on the boys’ side of the draw faced a deficit at some point during Tuesday’s matches. Adam Wood never led his first-round match until his par on the 20th hole secured a win against Jacob Solomon; he has led after every hole since that point. Scott Jaster is the owner of the biggest comeback among the quarterfinalists, as he erased a 2-down deficit through four holes to beat Robby Shelton, IV, 2 and 1, in the second round.
Follow FJ Live Scoring for hole-by-hole coverage of Thursday’s quarterfinal and semifinal matches at PGA National Resort & Spa.