The quarterfinals are set at the Women’s Amateur Pub Links Championship, and all eight players remaining are AJGA alumni or current players.
- Cheyenne Woods (Phoenix, Ariz.) vs. Annie Park (Levittown, N.Y.)
- Brianna Do (Lakewood, Calif.) vs. Stephanie Kono (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- Marissa Dodd (Allen, Texas) vs. Sally Watson (Earlsferry, Scotland)
- Tiffany Lua (Rowland Heights, Calif.) vs. Brittany Altomare (Shrewsbury, Mass.)
The average age of the eight players is 19.25 years old (with a range of 16 to 21), so it’s not a surprise to learn that their golf careers have already intersected on several occasions:
- Marissa Dodd, a 2011 graduate, has signed an NLI with Wake Forest and will join Cheyenne Woods on the women’s golf team in the fall.
- Tiffany Lua, Brianna Do and Stephanie Kono are teammates at UCLA and helped the Bruins claim their third NCAA Women’s Golf Championship in 2011.
- Lua, Do, Woods, Kono and Brittany Altomare were all Rolex Junior All-Americans in 2005. In all, the quarterfinalists combined for 17 Rolex Junior All-America honors during their AJGA careers.
- Do, Kono and Lua competed for Team USA at the 2007 PING Junior Solheim Cup, while Sally Watson was part of the victorious European Team.
- Do and Kono went head-to-head twice during their junior careers, with Kono winning both matches:
- Kono def. Do, 3 and 1, 2006 U.S. Girls' Junior (second round)
- Kono def. Do, 6 and 5, 2006 Polo Golf Junior Classic (second round)
- Lua def. Watson, 5 and 3, at the 2007 U.S. Girls’ Junior (second round)
The WAPL champion has been an AJGA alum five of the last six years, and the trend is certain to continue in 2011.